Dr. Shri Thanedar is an award-winning entrepreneur creating hundreds of jobs and a best-selling author.
Avomeen Analytical Services, a chemical testing laboratory founded by Shri, was recognized on the Inc. 5000 list of America’s fastest-growing private companies in 2015 and again in 2016. Previously, Shri grew Chemir Analytical Services Inc. of St. Louis, Missouri – a three-employee company in 1990 to over 400 employees and $63 million in annual sales.
Shri chronicled his rags to riches immigrant story in a 2005 book which became, and remains, a popular business autobiography in the Marathi language. The English version of that book, "The Blue Suitcase: Tragedy and Triumph in an Immigrant's Life", was published in 2008 as a limited-release edition, and was well-liked by its readers.
Shri Thanedar grew up in Belgaum, India, and in 1977 did his Master’s in chemistry at the University of Bombay He came to the United States in 1979 to obtain his Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry from the University of Akron(1982). He then worked as a post-doctoral scholar at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor from 1982 to 1984.
Shri’s career in the private industry started in St. Louis, MO with Petrolite Corporation, which he joined in 1984 as a Polymer Synthesis Chemist and Project Leader. In 1990, Shri worked at and then purchased a small chemical services company called Chemir, which became highly successful. In 2010, Shri founded Avomeen Analytical Services, which grew to about 50 employees in 2017. Recently, Shri sold controlling interest in Avomeen to High Street Capital, a Private Equity firm. Shri continues to own 40% stake in Avomeen.
Shri is married to Shashi Thanedar. His sons Neil and Samir graduated from University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business. Neil has started his own high technology business while Samir works in a technology start-up. Shri is a proud grandfather to Kai Thanedar, born in Jan 31, 2017.
Life & Career Highlights
- Since 1990, Shri has purchased or started eight different businesses
- Shri has achieved notable success in turning around troubled companies as well as in mergers and acquisitions (M&A) as a strategy to building successful businesses
- Thousands of youth in India have written to Shri about how his 2005 Marathi memoir inspired them to tackle adversities and achieve success in their own lives
- Shri has been featured in numerous newspaper articles and magazines
- Shri proudly became a United States Citizen in 1988, fulfilling his life-long dream to be an American.
Shri is in the process of writing an updated English-language autobiography, which will be the subject of a movie about his incredible personal, business and philanthropic journey. A fascinating life story that is still unfolding.